Method 1: use ssh
1. Install ssh in the two ubuntu computers
For Ubuntu 12.04:
For Ubuntu 8.10:
For Ubuntu 8.04:
2. Find out your IP address
* If the Host key verification failed, you need to delete the file "known_hosts" at: /home/user*/.ssh/
Method 2: use giver
Giver allows you to drag and drop files to users on your network. It will also automatically detect other Giver users on your network.
When you drag a file, or multiple files, to a user represented by an avatar on the Giver window, the files are automatically transferred. The recipient of the files is warned that a user wishes to send files. The user can accept or decline them.
To install giver in ubuntu:
To enable remote access to your home desktop
1. Enable a service on our home machine.
2. to register a domain name at DynDNS.org, no-ip.com or FreeDNS.afraid.org
3. Use inadyn software to set the domain to be automatically updated with the proper IP address.
to have inadyn update my address once an hour. This can be done by running:
The line in my crontab file looks like this:
4. Open a port in our firewall.
For detailed instruction, see this article: